May Social Roundup
Published 00:00 on 14 May 2021
It’s literally my job to stay on top of things so you don’t have to. See here’s some of the latest updates from Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook.
- Standard aspect ratio images wont get cropped on Twitter anymore. Youll see a preview of how your image will appear in-feed before publishing. No more automatic cropping is a timesaver – so the square image that you created for Instagram will now work on Twitter.
- Twitter’s Clubhouse rival, Twitter Spaces, is finally open to everyone – that is, everyone with more than 600 followers. It is differentiating itself from Clubhouse by allowing hosts to sell tickets for special sessions
- People will be able to share videos talking about themselves on their profile. The videos appear over a users profile picture. People can also add their preferred pronouns to their page.
- LinkedIn is evolving from a recruitment platform into a more conventional social network while retaining its point of difference as a place for professional conversation. It continues to be the most effective channel for lead generation.
- Instagram has added a captions Sticker for Stories, which automatically transcribes speech in videos. This is a gamechanger in helping us all be that little bit more inclusive in our social media marketing.
- As well as being able to now go live with up to 3 other people, users can now turn off their cameras and mute their microphones mid-stream. For some this will help to take the pressure off looking or sounding a certain way.
- You can also now add preferred pronouns to your profile
- Facebook is testing a new prompt to encourage people to open and read a news article before they share it. This should help to combat the sharing of misinformation.
- Every channel will have it’s own audio-only function by the end of the year. For Facebook, their offering is Live Audio Rooms. This will be available for creators and public figures but will later roll out to Messenger for conversations between Facebook friends.
Last updated 10:27 on 25 May 2021